Monday, August 23, 2010

Thin Mints, Tagalongs, and Samoas Please


Mothers are like Girl Scouts. Without the cookies. I really wish there was cookies involved.

As mothers we learn so many new skills daily. By the time your child is grown up your sash is completely full of little badges on it. Even though I am new at this mothering thing, I have some pretty badges of my own. I wanted to share some of my new skills that I have learned over the past 9 months.

Changing a diaper (poopie) on my lap, either in a small car or public restroom that was not equipped with a changing table.

Stealthily walking through my hallway upstairs outside of Liam's room so the floor boards do not creak. This one took awhile but I have it completely down, and now I can maneuver my way down that hall in pitch black and not make a sound.

Going to the restroom while breastfeeding. Dirty I know, but it is a skill nonetheless.

In the middle of the night if there is a leaky diaper I can change said diaper, his pajamas, strip his bed down and lay clean blankets on his bed all in the darkness of his room and did I mention rocking him in one arm while I change said sheets? This one deserves two badges.

And quite possibly my favorite skill, one that I use the most, I can Love deeper than I ever imagined.

1 comment:

  1. Can we say we're girl scouts without the camping experience? Everything I do throughout my day will now be in "badges".

    ReplyDelete